Cross-Functional, Globally Experienced Professional with Visual Arts, Research, and Technology Skills
PO Box 410612 • Cambridge MA 02141 • 617-875-8766 • use email contact on left
Technical and Creative Experience
Contracting with individuals and business clients, Boston, MA 1990 – present
- Photography web site: CydAbatt.com. 20+ years experience as a photojournalist, specializing in environmental portraits and location photography; working in both analog and digital media.
- Published photographs (sample): The Boston Globe; The Boston Herald; Vanity Fair (online), City of Cambridge Department of Veterans Services, City of Cambridge Annual Report
Consulting for small business and individuals who want to learn and leverage technology (2005 – present)
- Tutoring private clients and small businesses; instructing beginning to advanced Windows and Mac users. Specializing in technophobes, Adobe Photoshop, web design and development and digital photography concepts and applications.
- Software proficiencies include (not limited to): Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, Quicken, web development and design including hand coded html and css, Dreamweaver, WAMP and MAMP, WordPress themes and plug-ins and other content management systems.
- Contracting with small businesses on general web and technology considerations, developing social media marketing plans, Internet research, business software applications.
Web Design and Development
Technical consultant, web design and development 1998 – present
- Consulting to small businesses and individuals on web design and website re-design, leveraging web technologies. Advising on creating navigation architecture, creating a graphics look and feel for branding, using web design software, editing photographs and designing content layout.
International Development Experience
Development Researcher: Rural Assessment Models
International Development Researcher and Small Grant Manager 2010 – present
- Created and implemented “Design for Participatory Development Planning,” a development construct and methodology for rural development program design. Implemented qualitative survey in Western Kenya (400+ participants), interviewed community leaders and general population and trained local assistants to help administer the survey. The results are used to design development initiatives, including the Grow Ileho project. The research is available at http://cynthia-abatt.com/wp-content/uploads/Abatt_Design-For-Participatory-Development-Planning.pdf .
- Small grant administration for rural farming cooperative in Western Kenya. The Grow Ileho initiative is a self-determined agricultural project currently focused on raising high quality heifers. Designed project, provide consultation on proposal writing and budgeting and provide general technical assistance. http://cynthia-abatt.com/grow-ileho/
Ileho Community Centre for Social Services, Kenya
Development Consultant 2004 – present
- Assessing community development needs for a grassroots, rural social service program that works to serve 200- 400 people per month in western Kenya.
- Assist in writing/editing project and grant proposals.
- Networking to secure partnerships and resources through public speaking and presentations.
Conference Participation (sample)
- “Conflict Studies: The New Generation of Ideas ” — University of Massachusetts Conference on Conflict Resolution. Presenter, Design for Participatory Development Planning (2010)
- “9th Session of the United Nation’s Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues” – representative for NGO Land is Life (2010)
- “Engaging Asia” — Beijing conference on Asia-wide development trends and initiatives. Delegate, Harvard Project for Asian and International Relations (2007)
M.S. Public Affairs/International Relations University of Massachusetts 2011
B.A. Art University of Massachusetts 2000
Certificate in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) University of Massachusetts 2000